Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Is there an option to be represented by an attorney

Customer Question
for my unemployment hearing against...
Is there an option to be represented by an attorney for my unemployment hearing against my previous employer who is appealing the decision that granted me benefits..If so how do I go about getting assistance..
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
1/21/2016
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

There is no law that prevents you from having an attorney present. However, for the vast majority of claimants this does not make practical financial sense, as a lawyer will cost hundreds of dollars an hour and will need to charge you both for prep time and actual hearing time. That cost will largely if not completely offset any benefits you may be awarded, not to mention that if you lose you would wind up owing money.

The good news is that it is really not necessary to have a lawyer at an unemployment hearing. The hearing process is set up for people to represent themselves. The formal rules of evidence and civil procedure that would apply in a courtroom do not apply to this sort of administrative hearing, so it's really just about your ability to personally persuade. Any evidence you have, whether it be documents, emails, personal testimony, or sworn witness statements, will be admitted and considered if deemed reliable by the judge. This is a far better way of handling the situation than paying an attorney to represent you.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

Are you still with me? Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance....