Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

, i was off in NJ. I'm currently unemployed, but am…

Customer Question
***** ***** Lawyer's...

***** *****

Lawyer's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I was laid off in NJ. I'm currently unemployed, but am doing some consulting. i'm trying to understand have i just made myself ineligble for unemployment

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
1/21/2016
Employment Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

During weeks the you do consulting, you may certainly make yourself ineligible or partially ineligible based on what you earn. Any earnings that you receive based on work that you do must be reported and offset against your unemployment benefit for that week.

Now, it doesn't permanently make you ineligible. You just keep filing and in weeks that your consulting doesn't net any income, you still receive the benefit of unemployment as you continue to search for work.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a top-three rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.