Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I'm a nurse. I am currently working. I am in an upper

Customer Question
I'm a nurse. I...
I'm a nurse. I am currently working. I am in an upper management position. I had to reprimand another nurse because of multiple medication errors. This nurse in turn accused me of lateral violence in the work place. She made the inference that I was doing this because of something else. While we were in the DON'S office discussing the situation. the DON had her granddaughter in the meeting. My reputation has been called into question by another nurse who works as a unit manager as I do. Do I have any recourse in this situation?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
1/21/2016
Employment Lawyer: Asad Rahman, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer

I am sorry to hear about this. You were just doing your job. You may have a claim for what is called a hostile work environment. However, the challenge with situations like this is sometimes we have a claim but we also have to prove our damages. They cannot just be emotional damages. There has to be financial loss i.e. you lost your job or got fined due to this incident.

Did the DON take any action against you? Before resorting to any legal process, you need to escalate any issues with your HR department first. If they do not provide a reasonable resolution of the concerns then you have possibly a claim if you can prove the damages issues.

Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer