Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My child was punished her cell phone at school by ISS, 2…

Customer Question
my child was punished for...
my child was punished for having her cell phone at school by ISS, 2 days out of school suspension and made to clean the lunchroom tables. Is this egal?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
1/20/2016
Employment Lawyer: ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm very sorry to hear about your situation. Yes, it would be legal so long as it was administered in a "fair" way. That is, the school cannot discriminate against her based upon her race, religion, gender, or disability. If it did not administer a same or similar punishment to someone who was in the same situation, and the reason for the disparity would be based upon race, religion, gender or disability, then the school could be liable for illegal discrimination. But the school is able to set rules and mete out punishments for violations of policy or in the interests of "decorum".

I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear, but it is the law. I hope that clears things up anyway. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?