Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

What should I do if I tested positive on a random drug test.

Customer Question
What should I do if...
What should I do if I tested positive for codine on a random drug test. I had acute bronchitis but did not go to a doctor until later that day. My wife unknowingly gave my her cough medicine with codine the night before that was her persciption.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
1/20/2016
Employment Lawyer: Glenn Zimmerman,
 replied 2 years ago
Glenn Zimmerman

You should explain to your employer. Really, this depends on your relationship with your employer. Unless you have a contract then you have no employment rights in Texas. Texas is an "at will" state. This is true of most southern states. You can be fired for any "non-discriminatory" reason. I would take a copy of he doctor's findings and explain what hapended. If the facts match, then it's likely that your employer will overlook the positive test.

I was wondering if I should email the doctors finding to disa and explain the situation. I heard horrible stories about DISA black balling people. Is there anyway I could fight DISA if that happens?
Employment Lawyer: Glenn Zimmerman,
 replied 2 years ago

I am not familiar with DISA. Texas law is he problem. There are no protection in Texas, unless you are a contract or public employee. Then you have to follow the adminstrative process, which rarely ends up well.

Employment Lawyer: Glenn Zimmerman,
 replied 2 years ago

Please rate and conclude question, unless you have more questions.

Glenn Zimmerman
Glenn Zimmerman
Glenn Zimmerman