Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

I work Embassy in to DC. My boss dose not treat me good and

Customer Question

Hello
I work for an Embassy in Washington to DC. My boss dose not treat me good and there are occasions when she has discriminated against me in co-operation with another co-worker who dose not like me. The Co-worker is Assistant to the Ambassador and my Boss is the Deputy Chief of Mission.
The story is our working hours are from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm for the consulate section and from 9-5 to the rest of the embassy staff. About a month ago ,in a meeting attended by the Ambassador , Deputy Chief of Mission and diplomats they decided to change the working hours from 8:30 am to 4:00 pm and mentioned that will be a trial. Each diplomat informed his/her staff verbally and there was no written circulation. My boss did not inform so I texted her that I heard everyone is going to be leaving at 4:00 pm , can you kindly confirm the working hours and she never respond but the Ambassador secretary which I am not in good terms with and who she use her closeness to the Ambassador to do what she wants told me that the Ambassador said that I and her have to come from 9-5 anyway since she is not my boss I decided to get the direct info from my boss who did not respond to my text message but she did not respond. anyway, I had to go on vacation and on the first day coming back I sent my boss an email asking her to clarify the working hours for me since I do not have a car and I depend on one of my coworkers who has a car to go to work. My boss did not respond to me so I decided to leave and the Ambassador Assistant so me leaving that day and informed my boss and the following day my boss told me off for leaving earlier and told me that working hours are from 9-5 . Anyway , the Ambassador Assistant who told me that the ambassaode says that me and her has to leave at 5:00 hand only stayed until five on twice and leave early around 3:00 or 4:00 .. Everyone leaves the embassy at 4:00 and I am the only one who stays at 5:00 with one of the cleaners. Can you kindly let me know since this is an Embassy and we have no HR what I can do ? is it ok what they are doing ? I stay till five and neither my boss or the deputy chief of mission or the Ambassador are in the office I also stay doing nothing . Kindly note that my boss is very difficult and if I speak to hear again she would give me warning. Is there anything I can do?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.
So are you considered a federal employee who is working for the Embassy? Where did you apply for the job and who hired you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am a local employee who was sent from back home , I am not a diplomat . I was hired by the Embassy from here to come to work as Assistant in DC.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

So everyone in the embassy is of the same race, religion, national origin? Why do you believe you are being discriminated against? Do you have a disability? Because while you are protected under the US laws of equal employment and opportunity, you need to have discrimination grounds. What grounds are you basing this on, please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
By passport I have the same nationality as them but I am originally from different country but they are both the Deputy chief of mission and the Amb assistant are originally from the same country I hold their nationality but i am originally from different country .I really do not know if they discriminating against me because of that or because of favoritism. All what I can see that there is discrimination. I do not know what is inside them but they are not fair to me. I have no disability thanks god
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

There needs to be discrimination that you can prove to have a EEOC claim. I suggest it could be your hours are different because your job duty is different. And it is possible that the other employees who leave at 4 instead of 5 once themselves had to work til 5 until their position as changed or they gained seniority according to job description and years there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As explained I do not have extra duty to do , no one position has changed . I am left by myself there is no change that happened to my job description nor other employees we are a small embassy.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

I apologize but i don't have any helpful information for you. I am going to opt out and allow another professional to assist if they can.
Please do not respond here or rate at this time and your deposit will remain in tact. You will be notified when another professional can assist.

Thank you and good luck.