How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RESPONDER9 Your Own Question
RESPONDER9, Employment Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 389
Experience:  Attorney with more than 20 years of expertise.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
RESPONDER9 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 65 years old and working top medical faculty, academic

Customer Question

I am 65 years old and working for the top medical faculty, academic institute in MA and the largest concern in MA also. I been working 10 years for this institution and as recently as this week I have had unexpectedly HR call me into a meeting with my administrative and was told that the was a complaint filed against me from the clinic staff. I was allowed to defend myself to any of the allegations and it has always been told to me that it is generational differences but several staff members under the age of 30 have filed this because I work with senior doctors who require f/u be done each and everyday for their patients because it is not done or they will not follow the requests that are being made as simple as a doctor who has been practicing for 56 years does not want his patients put into a treatment room until he arrives and they continued to do it even when he told the staff not to do it and I reminded them also of his wishes. The complaints were that I tell them what to do, I walk around like I am a supervisor, I am pushy, I am a bully, etc. I want you to know also besides working almost 10 years with 2 senior doctors, having numerous had written notes to me from patients thanking me for taking care of them, at least 6 or more calls of days from patients who cannot get what they need from the clinical administrative staff. Also, I want to tell you that I have always been a very passionate patient advocate and one who makes sure my 5 specialists doctors needs are met administratively as well as their patients are. I live in MA and work pay check to pay check. In this meeting with HR I felt like I had no rights at all as I could not defend my self but then in HR next breath they are tell me I cannot go what will my doctors do, we need your experience, you should be mentoring but I have to change my business way of work. Any suggestions as I have told them that I will get back to them as to what is going to done after I speak with my doctors, decide if a request for transfer, or I feel I am being forced to leave.
Thank you,
Mary T. Cunniff ***@******.***
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  RESPONDER9 replied 1 year ago.

Hello Mary and thank you for your question. Employers often find a way to make work difficult for older works with the intent of convincing them to retire, resign, etc. in order to cut costs. If you feel there might be age discrimination involved, you can certainly consider filing a complaint with the EEOC(Equal Employment Opportunity Commission). They may investigate the situation and attempt to resolve it. You could also consider a transfer request and/or discuss with HR. This is a tough call, but from a legal view, it is my opinion that illegal age discrimination is often involved, I hope this helps(?) and ask for your positive rating.

Expert:  RESPONDER9 replied 1 year ago.

You've had some time to review my answer, and I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating; these allow me to continue to serve customers. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. Otherwise, the website does not credit me with answering your question and keeps your payment unless you request a refund because the website charged you the full value of your question at the time an answer was provided. Thanks.