How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 116780
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My name is ***** *****.
, I work at an alternative

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** *****.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I work at an alternative campus, a probation setting, and have been teaching GenEd English for 3 years. In early May, my admin asked me about returning to the jail and teaching SpEd again. I asked not to, and lined out my reasons, related to health, as I had a depressive episode when previously placed in that setting. Two weeks later, she informed me that she was moving me there anyway. This began a major slide, and I spent the summer working on ways to have accommodations to be effective, etc. I was met with a rather blase attitude. Just before school started, I was hospitalized. My doctor kept me out for the fall semester. My husband, given the fact that this was the 3rd such episode directly related to the school district, lodged a complaint with HR, and it was well-investigated. In October, I was informed that upon my return, I would be placed back at the probationary school. In January, I returned. My coworkers have been extremely distant since I returned. I have been unable to get 'usual' assistance from the classroom aide who serves all 7 teachers here, and have simply begun doing all the things myself. (i.e. copying, taking kids to the library, etc). At one point, she refused in front of our team leader, and no action was taken. Last week, a social luncheon was held with all the teachers, and I was not included. I brushed it off. Today, another such luncheon occured, in which all the teachers took part, but which I had no notice or invitation. It appears this is becoming a pattern. Professionally, they are fine. However, the social aspect is most definitely obvious. At what point does this become a pattern? And at what point do I say anything?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $36) to post your type of question to Legal Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am afraid you have a big issue here in that you must do as directed by the employer. However, you have a right under the Americans with Disabilities Act to reasonable accommodation if you have a permanent disability. You need to make such a request in writing with supporting documentation from your doctor to ask the employer to provide you with the reasonable accommodations you require.
As far as the employees ignoring you socially, I am afraid you cannot take any action because of that. If they were treating you differently professionally based on your disability or in retaliation for you filing a complaint about your disability to HR, then that would be grounds to file a complaint with the EEOC for discrimination under the ADA. Other than that I am afraid your only recourse right now is filing the written request for accommodation based on your disability and then if they deny you, you have a claim to also file with the EEOC, which has to investigate before you can go to court and they have to issue you a right to sue letter before you can do so.

Related Employment Law Questions