How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 118780
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I currently work local government in MO., years. In mid

Customer Question

I currently work for the local government in MO., for 15 years. In mid August, I was told that I had to supervise 5 CSR's. I am the third supervisor in one year. The reason I was told is due to the fact that I am a "nice person" and that the subordinates may act differently under another type of supervision. During this time, I have been accused of retaliation, bullying and so on. Everyday, I expect another grievance toward me. I can't eat, I get headaches and they are affecting my health. I had asked the director to relieve me of these duties and let me concentrate what I do best. He refuses. I know the union has said no and that I have to maintain this position. Meanwhile, I can't get anything accomplished because I have to check on these people or lack of a better term, "babysit". What can I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am sorry to hear this, but legally, the employer has the right to assign work to employees. If the union is not able to resolve the issue with your employer, then legally you have to perform the duties asked by the employer. If you are having health issues directly related to your employment, then you need to get to the doctor as soon as possible.
Under MO law, for this to be workers compensation related and covered, it must be stress "that is work related and was extraordinary and unusual. The amount of work stress shall be measured by objective standards and actual events." So this is what you would have to show for you to get some workers compensation if you need to go out of work because of this.
Otherwise, your only other recourse is to try to seek a transfer to another position I am afraid if they have one available you can move to.