Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
4460311

I am a part time employee in Albuquerque New Mexico,

Customer Question

I am a part time employee in Albuquerque New Mexico, employed since May, 2015.
I usually work Thurs. Fri. Sat. and Sun. Some times four hours a day, some times seven hours a day.
I am required to attend a staff meeting on Tuesdays (My Day off), from 9:30 AM to 11:00 AM. I am paid an hourly rate to attend the meeting.The staff meeting has been changed to 10:30 AM to 12:00 noon. I was not asked if this would be OK. Management says all other employees agreed to the change. I have a long standing commitment to be at 12noon on that day. I need to leave at 11:15 AM to make the 12:00 noon commitment. Am I at risk of being fired for leaving the meeting at 11:15AM?
The Staff meetings were never mentioned in the job interview.
Also, can I get a break during a 4 hour shift, a seven hour shift? I am on my feet during this period.
The work schedule for the next month is not given out in time, whereby I can plan my next months personnel commitments. Jan. 2016 was distributed on the fifth day of the month. Is there a required time for advance notice of next months work schedule?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.

Before I ask questions about your situation, I need to make sure that you understand how the website and rating system works.

Many times in employment law situations, and particularly in New Mexico, the law is not in favor of the employee. When that happens we have to give the person asking the question bad news. It's true, but sometimes it's not in their favor.

On this website the customer rates us experts at the end of the question and answer and every now and then a customer is unhappy about the law and gives a negative rating. Unfortunately, that negative rating is taken by the website to be a reflection on me, indicating that I wasn't polite, wasn't prompt, or provided a wrong answer.

I'm more than happy to discuss this with you, but I just wanted to make sure that you understood how the system works and that you will rate me on my professionalism and not on whether the law is in your favor or not, since I have no control over that.

With that understanding, do you want me to discuss this in more detail with you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please send me your response rather than a call.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't seen your response and my bank fraud dept. called me verifying charges. If I don't get an answer, I'll have to take further action.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

I haven't responded because you haven't answered my question yet. Please read what I posted above, let me know if you agree and then we can proceed.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

As far as a telephone call, I don't do those. That was probably an automated email sent by the website.