Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

I am a Security Supervisor. One of the officers I supervise

Customer Question

I am a Security Supervisor. One of the officers I supervise was having a hard time before the holidays. He has 2 kids. He was constantly threatening he was going to quit because until his wife started another job he had no one to get his kids at school because he worked 2nd and came in at 1pm. During this time also we were cut back on hours which made him 6 hrs short of what he was getting. He was saying thats not enough hrs to get his kids Christmas ect.
So I wrote up a little agreement between me and him and told him I would let him work my 6hr day Monday that would give him his money for kids Christmas and I would let him work my 1st and I would work his 2nd also till Christmas which would give his wife time to get her work going to pick up kids. I stated it was no more that till right after Christmas. I then told my boss the citations and asked if it was ok till Christmas and he said yes. I need to make note here that my boss and this officer I helped are very big buddies. So Christmas is over with and I tell the officer come this Monday I was returning to my hired shift and my 6hr day. He refuses to give me my Monday or my shift and my Boss his buddy is backing him. So I am a Supervisor on 2nd shift working 24hrs a week for helping one of my officers. I don't know what to do....please help me.. Angel
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. I am very sorry to hear abotu the situation you are faced with, especially because you are in it because you were trying to do the right thing.

As far as the law is concerned, I'm afraid you would not have any recourse. The reason is simply because employers have the authority to set schedules and to change the terms of employment at any time for any reason not amounting to discrimination on the basis of a legally protected trait, such as race or religion. There is nothing against the law about treating a friend or "buddy" more favorably. It's unfair and a poor business practice, but it just does not violate any law.

So, all you can really do in this situation is attempt to reason with your employer and this employee to get your hours back. You should make it clear to them that you were only offering your hours so that this employee would have money for Christmas, and that the change was never intended to be permanent. Most people would be understanding of this, but ultimately if your employer does not want to do the right thing here there is no law which says they have to.

I hope that you find this information helpful and am genuinely sorry if it is not what you were hoping to hear. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

Hello again,

I just wanted to followup with you to make sure that you did not have any further questions or concerns. For some unknown reason, the experts are not always getting replies or ratings (which is how we get credit for our work) that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I have not yet received either. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the site administrator.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed.

Very best wishes.