Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

NJ state unemployment office disallowed my claims after

Customer Question

NJ state unemployment office disallowed my claims after interviewed for backdating unclaimed weeks. 08/23/15 - 10/10/15. My unemployment status began 01/06/15. However I did not file until 03/08/15. I was provided with severance pay by my former employer and disclosed it on my original application. I did not find a suitable job since then. But also had some family health disasters with my wife and son. I have been given the opportunity to appeal. What is my best explanation of "good cause" to submit as my affirmative defense?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Your defense would have to be here that you filed late based on family health reasons and also that despite your efforts to properly file, their site did not make it possible to properly file your claim. Since you disclosed all of the information required, that is your defense in that you could not file in a more timely manner because of the family issues and that you are still entitled to the benefits as you were still qualified for the benefits you were seeking.