Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I am facing retaliation because I complained about

Customer Question
discrimination against me what can...
I am facing retaliation because I complained about discrimination against me what can I do.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
1/9/2016
Employment Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

If you have complained to your union, to no effect, the next step is to file a complaint with the EEOC in your state. That entity investigates discrimination claims, but it also investigates retaliation claims. Part of the law against discrimination protects one from retaliation for complaining about it, and it is this area of law that the EEOC tends to be more adamant about enforcing (even when the underlying complaint of discrimination turns out to be unfounded).

The EEOC can investigate, work the situation through mediation and grant you the right to sue. It is the only method to actually preserve that right to sue.

At this point, it is the only step you have remaining beyond accepting the treatment.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a top-three rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required.

If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.

Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer