ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

Is it Colorado state law that a employer hold your position

Customer Question

is it Colorado state law that a employer hold your position for at least 12 weeks for maternity leave?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Colorado doesn't have any state specific laws on the matter, so the Federal Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) would apply if the employer has at least 50 employees within a 75 mile radius of your work location AND you have worked at least 1 year AND at least 1250 hours in the past year. In that situation, you would have UP TO 12 weeks unpaid protected leave, in which your employer would have to keep your position open, or a reasonable substitute if they can't. But past 12 weeks, they have no obligation to even keep you as an employee, much less keep your position open. And that's assuming that you would otherwise qualify for FMLA (at least 50 employees, at least 1 year employment, at least 1250 hours worked in the past year).

I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear, but it is the law. I hope that clears things up anyway. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions)

Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?

My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting. If there's nothing else, please rate this answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it 3 or more stars (good or better) AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know.If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** good luck to you!

Hello?