Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

An employee said he wouldn't work at s wage anymore and left

Customer Question
An employee said he wouldn't...
An employee said he wouldn't work at his wage anymore and left the job for the day. Will I be liable for unemployment? I live in Washington State.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
1/5/2016
Employment Lawyer: green-owl,
 replied 2 years ago
green-owl

Hi. He can only apply for it if he lost his job for a fault not is own.

is that a no? He can not get unemployment because he quit and walked out, stating, "I will not work for this wage anymore?"
Employment Lawyer: green-owl,
 replied 2 years ago

No to the originalquestion, meaning you will not be liable. Assuming you at least paid the minimum wage.

Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Did you have any further questions for us on this matter?
Great, thanks. What other information did you need?
I was wondering if you had any additional questions that were not answered above, since you did not leave positive feedback for the expert (which is required for the expert to receive credit for time spent with customer). If you have additional questions about this matter please ask.
it just didn't seem like a full answer... Can you answer more specifically? And what I will need to prove?
Thanks.
Thank you for your reply.
An employee can collect unemployment benefits only when they lost their employment through no fault of their own. When an employee voluntarily quits employment, they must quit for good cause directly related to employment. If the pay has not changed and they quit because they wanted more money this is NOT good cause for quitting and you need to file an objection with unemployment if they apply for benefits and you would show that their wage had not been reduced by more than 33% prior to quitting and as such they had no good cause reason to leave employment.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney