How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Allen M., Esq. Your Own Question
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 19319
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Allen M., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was just been called by one of the manager and they fired

Customer Question

i was just been called by one of the manager and they fired me for no good reason.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and nearly 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

In employment law, if you have no employment contract that specifically states you can only be terminated for cause, your employment is "at will." This is true in every state but one (Montana), so Florida does recognize "at will" employment. An at will employee can legally be terminated at any time, with or without cause. The employer doesn't have to give a good reason, because they don't need a reason in an 'at will' employment situation.

So, you have to determine if you have a contract of employment like the one I mentioned. If you do, the resolution is easy. You sue in state court for breach of your employment contract that required cause. However, most people do not have such contracts.

If you don't have an employment contract you then have to ask yourself if the employer ever indicated an illegal motivation for wanting to terminate you. This would be discrimination based on your race, religion, gender, age, disability or recent FMLA (medical leave) use. If you have any reason to believe that any one of those is the actual basis for your termination, you should then file a complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission in your state (Department of Labor instead for FMLA). That entity can investigate the matter more closely and grant you the right to sue in Federal court.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a top-three rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter

Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required.

If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.