Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

While working very large nationwide corporation, I became

Customer Question
While working for a very...
While working for a very large nationwide corporation, I became deaf. I struggled with this corporation to get my reasonable accommodations met. Recently, my shift hours have been eliminated (midnight) and in most locations. Most employees were placed on other shifts and retained their full time status. A few, including myself, were told there were no positions and offered part time float positions with no benefits and no guaranteed hours. I would need to have accommodations in every location if I to accept this offer. The corporation knew long ago that this elimination of midnight hours was happening yet continued to hire additional employees and then waited until 2 weeks prior to my last day to tell me there was nothing available for me. Do I have a case for a lawsuit?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
1/2/2016
Employment Lawyer: Dwayne B., Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.

Before I ask questions about your situation, I need to make sure that you understand how the website and rating system works.

Many times in employment law situations, and particularly in Michigan, the law is not in favor of the employee. When that happens we have to give the person asking the question bad news. It's true, but sometimes it's not in their favor.

On this website the customer rates us experts at the end of the question and answer and every now and then a customer is unhappy about the law and gives a negative rating. Unfortunately, that negative rating is taken by the website to be a reflection on me, indicating that I wasn't polite, wasn't prompt, or provided a wrong answer.

I'm more than happy to discuss this with you, but I just wanted to make sure that you understood how the system works and that you will rate me on my professionalism and not on whether the law is in your favor or not, since I have no control over that.

With that understanding, do you want me to discuss this in more detail with you?

Tina, Lawyer