How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Allen M., Esq. Your Own Question
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 19319
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Allen M., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am being harassed by a former employer. Earlier this

Customer Question

I am being harassed by a former employer. Earlier this month, the owners of the entrepreneurial company I ran decided to close the company and focus on their other start ups. Since then, one of the two owners has reached out to people saying I was "fired for embezzlement and other bad things" even texting my husband such Bologna! Then last week, he contacted ex boyfriends of mine (we are still friends/associates) via social media trying to spread the same lie and then went to far as to send a picture of my year old daughter to him and say "your kid buddy." This is beyond inappropriate and they have all blocked him, but he won't seem to stop! This is completely ludicrous and unprofessional!
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I’m happy to be of assistance.

You should hire a local attorney for a very limited purpose. You just want a letter written on attorney letterhead, as that tends to scare people. The attorney needs to send a "cease and desist" letter, threatening a lawsuit for defamation of character if the behavior continues. The attorney will understand how to draw out the elements of the claim. However, you don't want to use the attorney to actually sue. That's too expensive and the returns on these claims aren't great. You just want the letter.

Then, if the behavior continues, sue by yourself in small claims court. That would give you some damages and would force this person in front of a judge, which tends to shut people up quickly.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a top-three rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Beyond the defamation of character, his contacting my friends and family needs to stop. Can I cite him for harrassment as well?
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

You could go through that process too, but the letter was the fastest option which is was I recommended it.

If you go down to your county court house, you can file for a restraining order but that has to go through a hearing process. While you certainly have evidence to support it, it still takes some time before the person would even know about it.

Contacting the police in these situations really has very little effect UNTIL you have the protection order, so you would need to get the protection order first for the most efficiency.

Before all that could get done though, a local attorney could send a letter today or tomorrow.

But certainly, you could use the protection order route.

Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I just wanted to add that the other difficulty with the "harassment" charging is that each individual would have to file their own protection order, because protection orders rarely extend beyond yourself and those in your immediate household.

So, if someone wasn't on there, the former employer could end up contacting them.

The defamation suit would allow a judge to issue an injunction concerning the type of communication itself, rather than trying to identify any person. Then communications concerning the subject matter, no matter who he made them to, would be in violation of that injunction.

Police aren't going to get involved until you are talking about threats of violence being directed at you through various means.

If you have further questions, please let me know. If not, please rate my service so that I receive credit for having worked with you today.

Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required.

If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.