Attorney2020
Attorney2020, Lawyer
Experience:  I have significant experience in employment law.
63724254

I have an employee who is working full time with my company,

Customer Question

I have an employee who is working full time with my company, but also works part time at a bar at night. She would like to quit that job and make up the time with us. The problem is she is making $25.00 per hour and I can't pay overtime. Can I use her as an employee and sub contractor?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Attorney2020 replied 1 year ago.

No, because you could face liability for misclassifying the employee as a independent contractor. The only feasible way would be to reduce her normal wage rate and then pay overtime when earned. Any other way would create a risk of liability.

I hope that helped. Please ask any follow-up questions. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited f or my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation. Thank you.