How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RESPONDER9 Your Own Question
RESPONDER9, Employment Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 389
Experience:  Attorney with more than 20 years of expertise.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
RESPONDER9 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

After 18 years of employment my wife was recently advised

Customer Question

After 18 years of employment my wife was recently advised that her position would be eliminated....we are requesting a written document from Management in order to clearly understand options. Management continues to communicate in verbal fashion only. Is this request viable? Also, can we claim severance for her service legally? What legal rights within this venue does an "at will" employee have? Thanks.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  RESPONDER9 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and I am truly sorry to see that this has occurred. Unfortunately, although unusual, there is no legal requirement to provide a written document. Her rights include unemployment compensation which should be available in most cases(if she worked the required time and has eligibility) and should be claimed immediately. She must receive written notice of her rights to continued health insurance known as COBRA rights but this will take some time. Also, you can certainly attempt to attain severance pay which could be based upon an employee handbook or similar policy if the company has one but unfortunately there is no legal right to this pay. Finally, if your wife feels her position was eliminated for discriminatory reasons, she may file a complaint with the EEOC(federal agency charged with protecting employees against discrimination). I hope all of this helps and she finds a better position soon.

Expert:  RESPONDER9 replied 1 year ago.

You've had some time to review my answer, and I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating; these allow me to continue to serve customers. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. Otherwise, the website does not credit me with answering your question and keeps your payment unless you request a refund because the website charged you the full value of your question at the time an answer was provided. Thanks.