Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

What does the term key employee mean as to stock value? Our

Customer Question
board awarded themselves something called...
What does the term key employee mean as to stock value? Our board awarded themselves something called Key or Heavy status. I was not included in this and they denied that it existed.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
12/27/2015
Employment Lawyer: John, Employment Lawyer replied 2 years ago
John, Employment Lawyer

What they are referring to is in terms of pension or fringe benefit plan qualification. First, a qualified plan treats everyone the generally the same regardless of their income or diretorship status, and only then will the IRS qualify the plan and allow the employees to accept the benefit (e.g., a pension contribution) as exempt from income. If a plan is not qualified it generally is considered "top heavy" because "key" employees or high wage earners get a disproportionate amount of benefits.

To determine if your plan is top-heavy, you must first identify key employees - any employee (including former or deceased employees), who at any time during the plan year was:

• An officer making over $170,000 (2015 and 2016);
  • A 5% owner of the business (a 5% owner is someone who owns more than 5% of the business), or
  • An employee owning more than 1% of the business and making over $150,000 for the plan year.

A non-key employee is everyone else.

A plan is top-heavy when, as of the last day of the prior plan year, the total value of the plan accounts of key employees is more than 60% of the total value of the plan assets. In other words a disproportionate amount of benefits, in the eyes of the IRS, favors the higher-ups. The IRS allows this to be fixed generally within 2 years. If not then the plan loses qualification, and the benefit is income to employees.

So what this means is that the board is going to take stock that is not available to all employees, and it will be a non-qualified deferred compensation plan.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as itis the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. Otherwise, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive-rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. Otherwise, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.

John, Employment Lawyer