Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

Can i be fired messaging my...foreman/boss....who (was)

Customer Question
Can i be fired for...
Can i be fired for text messaging my...foreman/boss....who (was) happened to be a 30+yr. long friend,schoolmate & neighbor some pretty explicit thing i said...all true but to the point about me finding out he had been having contact w/my now `X` during a time where she had been doing some not so "good things" because of her drinking problem??? and also had been hired on as a apprentice pipelayer/fitter on a 4 man crew(on a good day) that includes the owner.,.,..and ended up doing many other tasks that were not mentioned at hire on date,nor was there any pay differential for those "other tasks"...but one of my biggest complaints now is...(.because I knew if I would have of refused to do it I would have of been fired on the spot.no discussion). For having to drive a loaded 10 yard dump truck that was unregistered on public roads for a few weeks in all..but also w/major mechanical issues due to the age of the vehicle..the worst being no brakes..i know ???...no brakes...,and here is what floored me...what he said ...when i told the owner about the issue w/the brakes..his comment...word for word...(while he was standing by the 11ft.x 4ft. x 50ft. ditch we had in the middle of the road)..."Well I guess ya better be careful then"...shouldn't you" now i look back at all i done to not rock the boat...so to be fired foe chewing out my long time friend...who happened to be my boss at the time for having been caught with my girlfriend seems a bit shady to me...the owner knew we had been long time friends and seemed to almost be protecting him from the repercussions of my fiend/boss actions? even with all that in mind it seemed id done a lot to help keep the company moving forward for the lack of a better word,and i was the one who became a scapegoat when he and my "X"were finally exposed/caught...and ultimately fired..there were other issues that took place while i worked for them that lets say L&I would most likely have a "hay day" with or would of flat stopped the job because of serious safety measures that were flat being ignored...i can explain more if needed...looking forward to your reply
Chris..
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
12/23/2015
Employment Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

I am sorry to hear that you were fired from your job for confronting the foreman about his conduct..

.

Was he the one who actually had the authority to fire someone, or was he just a manager?

.

Were you under any type of written fixed term employment contract?

.

And this was a private employer right, not a governmental one?

.

.

thanks

Tina, Lawyer