Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I put my 2 weeks notince in and didnt complete it because i

Customer Question
was told that my last...
i put my 2 weeks notince in and didnt complete it because i was told that my last pay check would be reduced to minimum wage and they werent gonna pay me for the 140 hours im time of bank i had saved which is vacation time are they able to do this legally
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
12/22/2015
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

Unfortunately, unless you had a contract requiring you to provide two weeks notice or guaranteeing your terms of employment for a specific duration, your employment was purely "at will." This means that your employer can change the terms of your employment at any time, and can even fire you in response to you giving notice of your intent to quit. Therefore, the reduction to minimum wage, while extremely unfair, does not violate any law as no law requires your employer to continue employing you pursuant to the previous terms.

As for your vacation time, KY law only requires your employer to pay unused vacation upon separation of employment if there is a contract or policy expressly so requiring. Otherwise, they can deny payment of any unused vacation when an employee quits or is fired. So, you would need to review your contract and handbook to determine what it says about vacation payment. If there is a clause requiring payment, then you can file a wage claim with the Kentucky Labor Cabinet.

I hope that you find this information helpful.

Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer