How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Patrick, Esq. Your Own Question
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 12514
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Patrick, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I put my 2 weeks notince in and didnt complete it because i

Customer Question

i put my 2 weeks notince in and didnt complete it because i was told that my last pay check would be reduced to minimum wage and they werent gonna pay me for the 140 hours im time of bank i had saved which is vacation time are they able to do this legally
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

Unfortunately, unless you had a contract requiring you to provide two weeks notice or guaranteeing your terms of employment for a specific duration, your employment was purely "at will." This means that your employer can change the terms of your employment at any time, and can even fire you in response to you giving notice of your intent to quit. Therefore, the reduction to minimum wage, while extremely unfair, does not violate any law as no law requires your employer to continue employing you pursuant to the previous terms.

As for your vacation time, KY law only requires your employer to pay unused vacation upon separation of employment if there is a contract or policy expressly so requiring. Otherwise, they can deny payment of any unused vacation when an employee quits or is fired. So, you would need to review your contract and handbook to determine what it says about vacation payment. If there is a clause requiring payment, then you can file a wage claim with the Kentucky Labor Cabinet.

I hope that you find this information helpful.

Related Employment Law Questions