How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Allen M., Esq. Your Own Question
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 19221
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Allen M., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If an employee refuses to sign authorization to repay an

Customer Question

If an employee refuses to sign authorization to repay an overpayment can we terminate the employee.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question.

What state are you in?

Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm not sure if you saw my questions. I asked it because a few states have some limitations on what you can ask an employee to sign, in terms of an authorization to withdraw from their pay.

In some states, it is legal to deduct from pay without having an authorization signed when the reason is over payment. In some states, you have to have a signed authorization to deduct pay and if they refuse, you can terminate that employee.

In very few states, a refusal by the employee would be legal and you could not terminate the employee. Without the exact state you are talking about, I can not give a more specific response to your question because this is a matter of state law. Federal law would allow the termination.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is NY State. Do we need the authorization?
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

The New York Department of Labor has held, for a long time, that such deductions would not be permitted AND that terminating an employee for not repaying would be illegal.

Now, as of November 6, 2015, New York has promulgated a new rule concerning repayment which expressly states that an employer can make such deductions and they do not even require written authorization.

What matters is the timing of the deductions.

If you are recovering from the very next paycheck, the rule allows you to take the entire overpayment (if it is less than or equal to that check). However, where the overpayment is greater, you must not take more than 12.5% of the gross wages earned AND the deduction can't reduce the effective hourly rate below minimum wage for the week.

Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required.

If so, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.