How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Employment lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 42835
Experience:  30 years in Employment law
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ray. I am just putting the kids to bed. I hope to talk to

Customer Question

Hello Ray. I am just putting the kids to bed. I hope to talk to you tonight with chat... Thanks, Graham
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Graham welcome back, talk to you then.Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello.I now live over seas but unfortunately at 38 years old, I am 1 credit short of receiving SS benefits. Is there an easy way to fulfill overseas. Can I buy a 1500 dollar item, resell it on Ebay, and then claim that on my tax refund for the one credit.. Possible???? Keep in mind also that I havent filed in 9 years being overseas. It scares me to file... Thanks
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome back to JA. Ray here to help.

If you are self-employed, you earn Social Security credits the same way employees do (one credit for each $1,220 in net earnings, but no more than four credits per year).

So you will need to claim income of at least $1,200 each quarter and file a

US federal tax return here.Then you receive credit for each quarter up to four in a year.


Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

More for you here.

Thanks again and good luck to you here.