Ray, Employment lawyer
Experience:  30 years in Employment law
8534270

I am currently working in Tx as an optician private

Customer Question

I am currently working in Allen Tx as an optician for a private practice... Over the last 6 weeks, I have had to miss MANY days of work due to my terminally ill father in IL. .. My question is, could my employers lay me off temporaril (1-3 months) so I can be available for my family by staying in IL... I cannot afford to continue missing work, flying or driving home and paying my billlsccc I'm not sure what to do. I will not be moving to IL after my father passes... I need help
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Here they can lay you off and you can file for UI benefits.But UI requires you to be av available for work in theory.You would also run the risk that they would rehire you, this is a lay off, they are not legally obligated to rehire you.

You may qualify for FMLA, that is extended unpaid time off to take care of parents.That will not help you with the money issues.If you can afford the unpaid leave this may be an option here.

Here are the forms you need to turn in to employer for FMLA.

https://www.dol.gov/whd/forms/WH-380-F.pdf

These are your options here, voluntary lay off if they agree and file for UI benefits or FMLA as unpaid leave unless you have sick leave you can use.

I am so sorry that you are having to go through all of this.I appreciate the chance to help you and wish you the best.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
O appreciate your answer however, I did not realize I would be charged another $41.00. Again money issues
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

You only pay once here.If you can positive rate always much appreciated.The best to you.