Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

Can my employer ask\ require me to work past hours I was red

Customer Question
Can my employer ask\ require...
Can my employer ask\ require me to work past hours I was hired for. I.e. hired 9 to 530. May be asking to work much later
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
12/11/2015
Employment Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer

The employer can ask you to work any hours that they want, provided that you are paid properly for your time. If you are salaried exempt, then you don't get extra income. If you are hourly, you get extra income.

What you were hired for is only mandatory if you signed a contract of employment that specifically stated that you can only be terminated for cause AND that states that the terms of your employment cannot be altered without your consent.

Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer