Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

Union granted me and others past service when we voted them

Customer Question
in (2001). I was to...
Union granted me and others past service when we voted them in (2001). I was to be credited with 18.5 years of past service. I received my first pension estimate after I was vested in 2005. It had my years in the union and grandfathered in my past years. A couple months later. I get another estimate saying after review my past years will not be given credit. It says all over the letter that this is an estimate. Nothing changed with my seniority at work so I thought it was a mix up. I let it go. Now it's 2015. I want to retire. The Union is claiming ERISA statute of limitations for me suing them now to get my full pension including grandfathered years. How can this be? I never even officially put in for retirement & pension yet.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
12/9/2015
Employment Lawyer: John, Employment Lawyer replied 1 year ago
John, Employment Lawyer

First I think what they are doing to you here is ridiculous and cowardly by the union. This is also an all too common scenario - union's often promise things to get membership...unfortunately they probably didn't clear this with the pension plan board. So let me tell you first that you may have a case of fraud against the union notwithstanding any of the following and you shouldn't let this matter go....seek local counsel for this and pursue a lawsuit if you must. The other thing you need to understand is that the union and the union plan are different entities and federal law holds that the union cannot bind its plan to do something....although in all reality to the average person the entities are essentially acting as one.

Second, their claim of ERISA SOL expiring isn't rock solid because you had conflicting information - you were told it was vested, then told it wasn't - whether that should have clued you in that you had a claim is questionable and an issue of fact for a trial in my opinion. Further, in some jurisdictions you must in fact have filed for benefits for a claim to arise. Under the federal discovery rule, "a plaintiff's cause of action accrues when he discovers, or with due diligence should have discovered, the injury that is the basis of the litigation." Guilbert, 480 F.3d at 149 (citing Union Pacific Railroad Co. v. Beckham, 138 F.3d 325, 330 (8th Cir. 1998)). In the ERISA context, the discovery rule has been construed to mean that a benefit claim accrues upon "a clear repudiation by the plan that is known, or should be known, to the plaintiff — regardless of whether the plaintiff has filed a formal application for benefits." Carey, 201 F.3d at 46-47; see, e.g., Miller v. Fortis Benefits Insurance Co., 475 F.3d 516, 520-21 (3d Cir. 2007); but see Hoover v. Bank of America Corp., 286 F. Supp. 2d 1326, 1333 n.12 (M.D. Fla. 2003) (requiring a formal application for benefits to be denied to trigger the statute of limitations and recognizing the tension between the standard adopted in this circuit and others), aff'd without opinion, Hoover v. Bank of America Corp., 127 Fed. Appx. 470 (11th Cir. Jan. 5, 2005).

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. Otherwise, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.

John, Employment Lawyer