How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Employment lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 42235
Experience:  30 years in Employment law
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had been working in Arizona past 10 months but am on

Customer Question

I had been working in Arizona for the past 10 months but am on medical leave now and back to live in California with my family, can I apply for the disability insurance with the state of California (EDD)?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today.

If you were laid off in Arizona then yes you can apply for UI benefits.If you quit and relocate here you can file but they may deny you benefits.You have to be laid off here to qualify for UI benefits here in California.

You should apply here and see if they grant you benefits.You also have to be available and able to work.If you are then file for UI benefits and see if they approve you .

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did not quit or got laid off. I am on medical leave now so I would like to get disability insurance. California state has this benefits but Arizona doesn't so I would like to know if I can apply for CA disability insurance even though I work in Arizona. I have not relocated to California because my job is still in Arizona, I only moved back here with my family while I am on medical leave. Thank you.
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

You can file here for SSI or SSDI if you are disabled.You can do this online or through local social security office.You may well qualify for benefits here.

You can apply in California.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the follow up.I wish you a happy holidays.