Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I question discrimination imposed by Director of Default

Customer Question
Invoicing Dept. who was hired...
I question discrimination imposed by Director of Default Invoicing Dept. who was hired one month ago and works from her home in Virginia.
Worked for company six months on temporary basis. Hired full time by Sr. V.P. in Default Invoicing.
New Director hired and communicates 97% by email. I receive demeaning, degrading and caustic emails frequently without picking up the phone and discussing the situation. I was aware that a new Supervisor was being hired. Yesterday I received a phone call from a total stranger who announced she was my new Supervisor. I expressed my surprise that I was not notified or communicated with regard to the new Supervisor, her name and that she would be contacting us shortly.
Next, I receive a mercurial email from the new Director, without any phone call or notice telling me I better treat the new Supervisor with respect and that the new Supervisor had told her that I made the comment about not receiving a "heads up" email or phone call and that she was put on the defense. The new
Director NEVER called me to clarify that this was the new supervisor and perhaps hear my side of the situation.
With all the terrorist actions in the world, I think it prudent to know who you are talking to and to question their authority, especially in lieu of the ambiguity.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
12/5/2015
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Legally, employment is at will. The employer does not owe an employee any duty to notify them of supervisory or management changes. While it is a prudent business decision to communicate with employees it is not a requirement. Thus, if this is the way this employer wants to act and how they conduct business it is not illegal at all it is simply a poorly run business.
The only recourse you could have would be if the employer is doing this to you based only on your age/race/sex/disability/national origin and in that case it would be unlawful and you could pursue a complaint to the EEOC.
However, just because the employer does not communicate or give you a heads up on things, they are not violating any employment laws and complaining to HR or anyone else could just cause more issues because there is no legal basis for the complaint as this is just bad employment practice and not anything unlawful.
All of the info supplied I've already read on the internet.I realize all of the above but is this a good practice to begin establishing a rapport with an employee in an effort to go the extra mile in their job?
Thank you for your reply.
First of all, I am afraid laws are written as are case laws, which means they really do not change from what a person reads. Many times we do get people into our offices even as well as on this site who are hoping we can change what the laws are, but when we tell them the law they tell us, "well I knew that already, but thought you could do something else." Fact is that lawyers have to stay within the law, we cannot take action or suggest action that is outside of those laws. This is why you now say "I've already read on the internet" because the laws are set and I cannot change those.
It is bad practice, it is bad for morale in the workplace, but you have no legal rights in the situation and if you complain to HR they will do nothing. Unfortunately, you cannot prevent bad employment or business practices that are not illegal.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney