Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I have acrued 2 days vacation and 2 days "floating holiday"

Customer Question
pay but my employer says...
I have acrued 2 days vacation and 2 days "floating holiday" pay but my employer says I cannot use them and will not get paid for them because I should've asked to use them earlier in the year. The employer claims he mentioned it at two monthly meetings: one in January and one in July. He did not offer a specific cut-off date as to when these days must be used or forfeited.
Is this legal for them to have a "use it or lose it" policy? As it stands, I will be losing 4 paid days off.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Employment Law
12/4/2015
Employment Lawyer: Samuel II, Attorney at Law replied 1 year ago
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

I am sorry to hear of this situation. And the answer is not in your favor. But I do not make the laws.

Under AZ law, the paid vacation is a "benefit" Such Benefits are not mandated by law. And so the employer is at liberty to establish policy on the way the vacation should be taken - for instance, if it has to be requested by a certain date and/or that if you do not follow the policy in this regard, you lose it

I am sorry the law is not in your favor.

Now, if the employer has allowed other employees to take vacation out of "policy" they must continue that practice. But if there is a policy and it has been applied to all employees, then you have no recourse.

Samuel II
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law