How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Your Own Question
John, Employment Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 5734
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
John is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I work oil corp. From 1975 to 1982 until they closed

Customer Question

I work for gulf oil corp. From 1975 to 1982 until they closed understanding that the 1974 act a law that if the company close down we are 100% invested. I was informed by social security administration that there is a pension available through this company. I contacted the company and they said that I would have had to be there at least ten years. The company gulf oil has been brought out by chevron. This is who I contacted. My question is am I entitled to the pension according to the 1974 act? I can be reached Monday thru Friday.
Curtis Sellars (###) ###-####
Thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is***** have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today.

First off you cannot trust what they are saying now as a determination of whether you are owed a pension or not. At the time you retired, the 1974 act you are referring to (ERISA)had either a 10 year (cliff) vesting or gradual vesting mandates. But these are just minimums the employer must provide. Your employer could have provided a more generous vesting at that time, which may be different than the vesting period now.


Your best bet at this point would be to contact the Department of Labor - Employee Benefits Security Administration to have them determine if you are owed anything. The Department keeps all plan documents and filing and will have the best and most accurate information on the plan in effect for your retirement. It very well be that the plan was terminated/ abandoned and there are funds sitting in escrow for you with the Department or otherwise. You can contact the Department through their website here:

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome. Please leave a positive rating before you exit this chat as it is the only way I get credit for my answers. If you have any questions in the future regarding this matter come back to this thread and I'll be happy to answer. Thanks and good luck with the matter.

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. Otherwise, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.