Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I was fired in retaliation an employee that was sending our

Customer Question
I was fired in retaliation...
I was fired in retaliation for exposing an employee that was sending our customer leads to another store, I went to the owner instead of my immediate boss......I was fired the next day by my immediate boss
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
11/30/2015
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and welcome. I am very sorry to hear you were let go. Why exactly did this cause you to be terminated? It seems it would be in the company's best interest to know. Also, are you in a union? Lastly, did you have a contract guaranteeing your employment for any specific length of time? I look forward to helping you.

The person that I exposed was a friend of my direct boss and her husband worked at the other store under my boss, he knew what was going on, but the owner did not

Thank you very much for your reply. Unfortunately, the general rule is that employment is at will absent in express agreement to the contrary. At will employment can be terminated for any reason that does not amount to discrimination on the basis of a legally protected trait such as race or religion, or retaliation for engaging in certain forms of legally protected activity (i.e. filing a wage claim, making a report to a government agency, etc.)

The problem, is that what you describe would not fall within any of the exceptions to the at will employment doctrine. This is to say that while you were termination was certainly unfair and clearly politically motivated, those circumstances do not give rise to any legal claims. The report that you made to the owner of the company would not be considered a legally protected activity, and so and unless you had an express agreement guaranteeing your employment for a specific period of time, you would not typically have any legal recourse under the circumstances. Your only recourse would be to apply for unemployment benefits (which should be granted with no problem) and move on in your search for new employment.

I truly wish that I could provide you with better news, but I hope that you appreciate an honest and direct answer to your question. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you require any clarification with regard to the above. I am more than happy to assist you further if necessary. Very best wishes to you and happy holidays.

Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer