How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 33767
Experience:  Employment Law Expert
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I work federal establishment. The company does not deal with

Customer Question

I work for a federal establishment. The company does not deal with patients or patients medical information. However. I filed a discrimination claim against the management within the organization. Within the claim the manager disclosed medical infirmatuon about my child that had nothing at all ti do with the claim. Can I sue the organization and the individual for a HIPPA violation?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.

Unfortunately, the courts have ruled that HIPAA does not allow for a private individual to file a lawsuit based on a disclosure of private information. You can file a complaint with the Attorney General of your state and they can, if they choose, bring a lawsuit against the organization or the person or you can file a complaint with the civil rights division of the Department of Health and Human Services at