How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 117375
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What can I do if my boss is making slanderous comments about

Customer Question

What can I do if my boss is making slanderous comments about me?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

You can sue. That is, if your employer is making false statements about you, and the statements are harming your reputation, you can sue for defamation. You can sue to recover for the harm suffered by the defamation.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What can I do if my boss is making slanderous comment about me.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

it seems you are asking the same question...over and over. I will opt out. Perhaps someone else can assist you. I wish you the best of luck.

Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Your previous expert has opted out and I am a different expert.
If your boss is making statements about you that he knows are false when he is making them and you are now suffering financial harm from these statements, you can file a civil suit against the boss for defamation and you can seek damages from them as well as an injunction to make them retract the statements.
The key to defamation is that you have to prove actual damages in order to file a suit. It is not enough that you prove only they are making false statements (unless they are accusing you of criminal activity), you have to prove actual money damages were suffered by you as a direct result of the false statements.