How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Allen M., Esq. Your Own Question
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 19302
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Allen M., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Do I have a valid reason to file a suite if my employer

Customer Question

Do I have a valid reason to file a suite if my employer terminated me for reporting a medication error to the state and to the cooperate office.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

That will depend on the actual basis for the termination.

For example, if the reason that they terminated you is that you didn't follow company policy on the way in which that reporting should be done (and their policy doesn't violate the laws on how errors are supposed to be reported), then the termination would actually be based on violating company policy.

So, it can be a bit complicated actually narrowing down what the actual basis is for a termination.

However, if it can be determined that their basis for termination is really focused more on the fact that you made a report of an error, and it was your legal obligation to make that report, then certainly you can file suit under a concept referred to as "termination in violation of public policy." That is a viable suit in employment law. They problem though is finding an attorney willing to take that sort of claim, because they are not as simple as filing a race discrimination claim, for example. So, it may take some leg work to find an attorney willing to do that sort of claim.