Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

I teach at a university, and have lost 2 promotions. The

Customer Question

I teach at a university, and have lost 2 promotions. The first was to be an asst. course director, that was taken away by the dean the reason being I was unable to get on line to access the university ( my phone service was down from a strom) the course director wanted someone else, so this was their excuse.Then I applied for a clinical position and was turned down. I went to the dean and he said they where looking for younger people to work in the clinics. Then I applied for a job teaching I was rejected for that job. Instead they hired a foreign graduate with no license to practice dentistry in the U.S.to teach. In the jobs offered they supplied criteria in order to get the jobs offered, I meet all criteria, actually Ive had the job perviously teaching at a differently university. I believe this is a hostile working environment , the dean is not going to let me advance. Thank you Jeffry Gilmore dds
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If they are denying you promotions or jobs based on your age, which is what the comment you mentioned seems to indicate, this is against the Age Discrimination in Employment Act. If you have evidence this is the reason for not getting promotions, you need to file a complaint with the EEOC and also the IL Human Rights Commission (http://www.illinois.gov/ihrc/Pages/default.aspx). They would investigate and then issue you a right to sue letter to allow you to proceed to court.
Whether or not you can go to federal court depends on if this is a state university or private. If it is a state university you file in state court, if not you can file your suit in federal court.