How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 117391
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a member of operator union local 150 in countryside il.

Customer Question

I am a member of operator union local 150 in countryside il. I sffered a heart condition that rendered me unable to work. I have enough years to qualify for disability retirement. I sent them all documentation that they required including a letter of award from ssn and letters fron three cardiologists. They have rejected my application out of hand. Their doctors name or his reasonsfor rejectio are not given. I need an advocate as I don't have the financial meens to fight this
Any ideas ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You have a right to appeal the denial to the pension board of the union. You will need to write up your appeal explaining your disability and your inability to do any work. You will need to attach detailed reports again from your doctors explaining why the denial of your disability was improper and the extent of your condition and prognosis to show that it will not improve and you will never be able to return to work in the same capacity.
Most attorneys that handle these types of pension disputes handle them on a contingency basis, meaning they will take a portion of the benefits they win for you. To start with you would need to find a pension law attorney at the same sites used by other attorneys, or If you cannot negotiate a contingency fee agreement with the attorneys from those sites, you would next contact legal aid and also call the state bar association for the pro bono attorneys in your specific area who could assist you in representation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I have no money and really need a pro bono advocate fot this matter.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.
A "contingency fee" means no money is needed up front. Attorneys generally will take a case like this on a contingency, but not pro bono (everyone including you has to eat). That is why I explained what I did above. Pretty much any attorney handling this would want some percentage of the money they recover for you in the appeal.