How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Employment lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 41494
Experience:  30 years in Employment law
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My employment was terminated with the City of RedWater,

Customer Question

My employment was terminated with the City of RedWater, Texas because my Ex Wife went on social media (Facebook) and signed on The City's Neiborhood watch Facebook site and said all kinds af negative things that she said I told her, and in turn the City Of RedWaters Mayor ordered my termination of employment! Is this legal?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today.

You can sue the ex here for defamation.This is a civil suit for the harm she has caused you here.You can seek damages including lawyer fees and costs as well.Texas allows such a civil suit where you have been harmed here.

If your termination was based on false statements here-defamation you may have right to appeal with your hr system.Also I would consider whether there was discrimination involved.Often the employer uses these statements as a smoke screen for terminating you based on age, race, etc.You can file with EEOC here claiming it was.

EEOC here protects you here , it gives you rights even if you are an at will employee.

I would strongly urge you to consider a local lawyer to sue the ex wife and also wrongful termination including EEOC.

FIle here with EEOC..

Generally speaking, defamation is the issuance of a false statement about another person, which causes that person to suffer harm.ypically, the elements of a cause of action for defamation include:

  1. A false and defamatory statement concerning another;
  2. The unprivileged publication of the statement to a third party (that is, somebody other than the person defamed by the statement);
  3. If the defamatory matter is of public concern, fault amounting at least to negligence on the part of the publisher; and
  4. Damage to the plaintiff.

In the context of defamation law, a statement is "published" when it is made to the third party. That term does not mean that the statement has to be in print.

Damages are typically to the reputation of the plaintiff, but depending upon the laws of the jurisdiction it may be enough to establish mental anguish.

Lawyer referral,-slander-and-defamation/texas/find-law-firms-by-city/

I am so sorry that you had to go through all of this. You have remedies here against your former employer and the ex wife too.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again and I wish you the best here.

Also if you file with EEOC this may help you with UI claim as you are arguing termination was not justified.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Ray I wish you a Happy Thanksgiving, I hope you are able to pursue this and get some justice here.

If you can leave a positive rating when we are done it is always much appreciated.