How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marsha411JD Your Own Question
Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 20292
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp in Employment Law
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Marsha411JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have my own company and worked as a computer consulting

Customer Question

I have my own company and worked as a computer consulting contractor with another company in Illinois, and did not get paid for the last 5 weeks. I have requested payment via email and contacted them via the phone but have not received any response. Also I cannot located the signed contract with them but I have payment from them via bank for 5 months and all email correspondences. I am owed roughly $13,000 What are my options? And what kind of lawyer do I need? I am currently in Texas but both my company and the company I worked for are Illinois based.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 year ago.


Thank you for the information and your question. Assuming that you worked as an independent contractor and not a W-2 employee, you would have to file suit against the Company for the money you are owed if they refuse to pay. If you are willing to cut your claim to $10K, you can actually do this yourself without the assistance of an attorney through small claims court. Illinois, which would be the jurisdiction you would have to file in has a 10K limit for small claims. If you want the entire amount, then you would have to hire an attorney to file in regular district court since the procedural rules are much more complex.

If you were actually a W-2 employee, you could file a wage claim with the State of Illinois.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the box above, I will receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you.