Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

The company I work a privacy policy which covers employees

Customer Question
The company I work for...
The company I work for has a privacy policy which covers employees discussing a situation regarding another employee with anyone other than human resources. Is there any legal action one can take when the privacy policy has not been complied with. I was
wrongly accused of creating a hostile work environment and my immediate supervisor discussed the situation with an employee outside the companies human resource department. This action can and has affect my future with the company, tarniss my professional
reputation which I have work 15 years to build.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
11/19/2015
Employment Lawyer: Samuel II, Attorney at Law replied 2 years ago
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law

Hello

This is Samuel. I am sorry to hear of this matter. Do you know what the policy says about sanctions should it be violated?

And have you reported this violation to HR? What have they said about it?

I could not find anything referencing policy violations. I can't go to HR as I already fear that I will loss my job and in this day in age HR is responsible for looking out for the best interest of the company which means the moment I pose the question they will reach out to my supervisor and we all know that after that even arriving to work early will be a violation of company policy and used as grounds for termination.

Thank you.

Any local attorney who you would consult with will want to know the sanctions that are to be imposed for such a violation. And they will want to know if you reported the violation. The reason is, you first need to go through all "in house" procedures and give the employer an opportunity to rectify the matter and also if HR has not followed procedure that is the basis of your lawsuit.

You would not have a case unless HR has been made aware of the violation, and investigation is done and they fail to administer the sanctions against the employee/supervisor as required by their own policy.

That would be the basis of your lawsuit. That the employer failed to apply policy equally across the board. That is discrimination.

If the policy states that an investigation consists of hearing both parties side of story was not followed it would be considered a violation of company policy?

Yes. It would. Any policy needs to be followed and applied equally across the board.

I apologize for the delay in this response.

Thanks for your patience.

Samuel II
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law