Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
20011183

I have questions regarding wrongful termination.

Customer Question

i have questions regarding wrongful termination. Unfortunately, the company I was working for Controller fraudulently used company credit cards. I was interrogated, accused and terminated for this same reason and my association with her. I have since collected unemployment benefits. They chose to not reply to the claim. Do I have a case for wrongful termination?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Getting unemployment is a good thing and I'm glad you were able to, but winning at unemployment and having a wrongful termination claim are two very different things.

To have a wrongful termination claim, you'd have to either be alleging that the only reason you were terminated was your race, religion, gender, age, disability or FMLA use...or you'd have to have had a contract of employment with the employer specifically stating that you could only be terminated for cause.

You didn't mention either of those in your question, so just based on the facts I have now, I would say that you do not have a wrongful termination claim, though you are welcome to supplement facts based on this information in a REPLY and I'll address those.