Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp in Employment Law
19127644

Can an employer demand an employee to write and sign a

Customer Question

Can an employer demand an employee to write and sign a confessional statement regarding accusation of discrimination? Wayne
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. An employer can always ask an employee to sign a statement, but no one can ever make the employee sign something they don't want to. However, if the employee is not covered under a bargaining agreement or other contract that gives them certain employment retention rights, the employer can still take an adverse employment action against them for refusing to cooperate, or any other reason, (even unfounded), if they are employed "at will." In addition, "acknowledgments" of counseling or warnings are not considered agreements with the facts, they are just acknowledgement of the warning.

If you would like to provide some context to your question, I may be able to add something here since I can only answer in a vacuum with no facts. If you prefer not to, then if you have no follow up questions, if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the box above, I will receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you.

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 12th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/

Thank you.