Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp in Employment Law
19127644

Marsha, We spoke a while ago about an employee chargeback.

Customer Question

Hi Marsha, We spoke a while ago about an employee chargeback. They have not changed there minds. I was hoping to find something in writing that tells them they are being unlawful. Do you have any suggestions?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 year ago.

Hello again and I am sorry to read about your employer's decision, I presume, to take the chargeback of the old commission, out of your bonus. Unfortunately, this is not a statutory issue, this is common law contracts. In other words, I cannot point you to a neat statutory citation for you to give your employer. You will, as I mentioned previously, have to sue the employer for the money you believe they owe you. This will be a contract action. In other words, you will use the terms of both your commission agreement (where there was, I believe, no mention of chargebacks like this) and your bonus agreement/language to show that it is not discretionary. The court will then make a determination on the language of the documents in front of them as to whether either or both allow a deduction for this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That sounds long and expensive. You also suggested filing a claim with the state. Can you share any details as to how to go about that process?

Depending on how much you are owed, it could be. If you are owed is $5K or less, you can file yourself in small claims court, which is not expensive and does not take a long time. You can find out more about that by going to the following link: http://www.mobar.org/uploadedFiles/Home/Publications/Legal_Resources/Brochures_and_Booklets/small%20claims.pdf

As for a wage claim with the State, that information is at: http://labor.mo.gov/DLS/General/complaints

As mentioned, this might not be a claim they would take if they stick only to minimum wage claims or cut and dry easy to calculate earnings issues.