Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Former judicial law clerk, lawyer
26798026

If you have medical coverage from your retired husbands

Customer Question

if you have medical coverage from your retired husbands former employer that will cover me for the next 15 years and i become disabled what is the legal ramifications of not dropping the ins and not taking medicare and part b ss coverage, if you are supposed to drop it when you become eligible for disability,even thou disability is reviewed frequently and if you are found to be improved you would lose coverage and if you dropped your 15 year coverage you could not get it back
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

If there is something in writing that says you must get Medicaid when you become disabled, and you become disabled, the insurance company will drop you. They could also sue you for reimbursement of any benefits paid after you were supposed to cancel the plan. This is true even if you've recovered by the time they find out about the disability, and even if the original coverage can't be reinstated - because in the situation you've described, the disabled individual has breached the contract.

In order to avoid losing coverage (and possibly having to reinstate the insurance company), it would be necessary to show something in the contract that does not require terminating the policy in the event of a temporary disability, or it would be necessary to show that whatever condition you had did not qualify.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.