How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Your Own Question
John, Employment Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 5728
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
John is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My old employer is going to file a temporary restraining

Customer Question

My old employer is going to file a temporary restraining order against me on Monday. I had a non compete agreement but they never allowed me to get a copy of it. I was treated as an employee, (had to be there every day) but was paid as an independent contractor. Is there any way I can prevent this?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

There is a theory in law that one with dirty hands cannot seek to enforce a right that was gained unlawfully and further of advance their unlawful plan through the courts. They way that applies here is that you were miss-classified as a contractor when you were in fact an employee the entire time. They got out of paying state and federal taxes and welfare programs like unemployment and workers compensation, as well as avoided wage laws that may entitle you to additional pay and benefits. They now seek to have their cake and eat it to by filing a non-compete enforcement action against you as if you were an employee.

The problem here is if they file that motion, then you have to get a lawyer and defend this in court regardless of the merit of their actions because if you don't the court will give them whatever they want. What I might do if I were you is give them a call before they do this, hopefully, and tell them that if they try to do this, you will defend yourself by expressing your rights which include filing complaints with state and federal authorities for tax evasion, miss-classification, non-payment of workers compensation and unemployment as well as any wage and fringe benefit entitlements you may be entitled to. I think if they have any sense they'll drop the whole thing, but a lot of people have no see what happens.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as itis the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. Otherwise, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.