How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John Your Own Question
John, Employment Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 5688
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
John is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I helped a company put in equipment and they where suppose

Customer Question

I helped a company put in equipment and they where suppose to give me a bonus and it was a verbal agreement in the state of texas. They are not paying me. What is my recourse?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thanks for submitting your question today.My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today.

Are you an employee of this company or was this just a one time deal. Was there a written contract in addition to this verbal agreement?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am an employee of the company but it was only a verbal agreement but several people knew what the agreement was, so there was must not me and the business owner..
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Ok. So you have two options. One is to file a lawsuit the other is to file a wage claim with the TX Workforce Commission, which you can learn how to do here: In a lawsuit you'd have to do all the work yourself and pay all costs. In a Workforce Commission claim, the state investigates (at no cost to yourself) and makes a determination of whether it is owed, you or the employer then can appeal that determination and have a hearing. In your case I would probably lean toward the Workforce Commission because if you are still working there they cannot retaliate against you for filing a WC claim, whereas they can if you just sue them for breach of contract in civil court.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as itis the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.