Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

Several people in the company I work for received my

Customer Question
several people in the company...
several people in the company I work for received my termination notice before me and then about 6 hours later I received an email saying I was suspended pending investigation with no reasons listed. is this legal
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/29/2015
Employment Lawyer: Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

My apologies, I am a bit unclear. Did you send the termination notice, or did the company send you one?

the company sent it out to all of our locations saying I was terminated, resigned without notice, ineligible for rehire, which I did not resign, It had all my personal information on it. I was called by several colleagues. 6 hours later I received an email saying I was suspended pending investigation, no reason given. I have never received any documentation and none of my superiors will answer my phone calls to explain.

This is a bit more complicated of an answer than it may appear at first glance. Let me try to break it down, so please bear with me while I do that.

In general your status with the company can be provided to other employees. There is no inherent protection from information such as this provided that the information is true. However, truly personal information, such as your Social Security Number, IS protected and cannot be provided to anyone. In addition, the information provided must be TRUE. If it is false, that is defamation of character and opens the employer up to potential threat of litigation over injuries to your reputation and other harm.

As far as your suspension, that may be legal provided they followed the steps listed in your employee handbook, if you have one. On that point I do not have enough information to fairly answer. But at least as far as their emails to all, if it was untrue, you would have a cause of action against the employer.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.

Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney