How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Patrick, Esq. Your Own Question
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 12500
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Patrick, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was employed 30 years at the same company. During the big

Customer Question

I was employed for over 30 years at the same company. During the big economic downturn I was laid off ( 03/2009 ). The website for my prior employer says it became employee owned in 2008. I am entitled to any monetary compensation?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

"Employee owned" simply means that employees possess shares of the company's stock. Shares were either given to you while you were employed or they were not--you would almost certainly know if they were. Your employer would not have been obligated to provide you with shares simply because they were doing so for other people. So, if you were not awarded shares while you were employed you would have no equity stake in the company now. It can't hurt to inquire with HR if any shares were ever issued to you while you were employed, but again, I think the odds are very low that you would have somehow been given shares and not been told about it.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

Related Employment Law Questions