Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping employers and employees.
11313492

I am an American citizen working American hedge fund in

Customer Question

I am an American citizen working for an American hedge fund in their Singapore office (abroad). I've been there about 3 years working as Executive Assistant to the CEO. My boss abuses prescription drugs and has an explosive personality; he also has made a few derogatory comments about women in the workplace and made me falsify documents to save him money or prevent him from paying things like local tax. He often makes me stay in the office up to 18 hours a day because he says he needs to talk to me, then I do absolutely nothing and he just leaves. I have stuck it out for 3 years but have had to go on antidepressents for the first time in my life and seek counselling. I am afraid to quit because I need the recommendation and it is very hard to change jobs here when you are a foreigner. I am afraid to report anything because I don't want to get a poor recommendation and have the last few years of putting up with this behavior to have been for nothing. Do I have any legal rights?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

I am in NY. what outcome were you envisioning?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure. I was mostly wondering if I have any rights living abroad in Singapore? I assume I am not protected by any labor laws or anything correct?
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

To the extent it is a US company and any of its rules and agreements are likely by its own dictates subject to american law you can pursue a claim. Practically, these situations are often resolved without legal action by having counsel reach out to HR and management to negotiate a settlement. Martindale.com is a good resource as is avvo.com. Kindly rate the answer as excellent.